Finished in 2004 by Katy Barker, Dhow House is a spectacular property combining both traditional Swahili and modern design. Dhow House is an oasis of calm, sitting between the Indian ocean and timeless sand dunes set back in 3 acres of garden; a hidden treasure offers maximum privacy.
Expect five star service with a full staff of seven, a beautifully lush landscaped garden, swimming pool, brand new kitchen, 50 inch TV and WIFI for guests. Situated on the Island of Lamu in Kenya, Dhow house is encompassed by the village of Shela, which is a destination in its own right. Traditional stone houses, winding paths, mosques and ancient ruins surrounding a central square all create an authentic African experience.
Dhow House's Unique packages allow you to tailor-make your own unforgettable experience:
- Menu planning can be arranged prior to arrival, download a sample menu
- The house comes with staff: Chef, Room Stewards, Local Ground Manager,
- Table Waiters and Escari (Watchmen)
- Take to the water in the speedboat and visit Manda or Kiwiyu.
- Indulge in a luxurious massage.
- Day trips around Lamu and 'Rabinson Crusoe' picnics on deserted beaches
- Yoga studios are just a minute's walk away
- Evening cocktails at the Peponi Hotel
- Exotic Moroccan-style dinners arranged at your whim on any of the house's terraces
- Locally-arranged Dhow sailing, deep-sea fishing,bodyboarding and snorkelling (fins, masks and gear provided).
1 MASTER SUITE, 4 DOUBLE BEDROOMS, 2 ROOF BEDROOMS, SWIMMING POOL, 50' TV, WIFI, NEW KITCHEN, RAW FOOD CHEF, PRIVATE TERRACES, TOWELS & LINEN, TELEPHONE, STAFF, ACCOMODATION, SPEEDBOAT
Rates for Dhow House, Shela Village
Book with Lamu.org and receive up to a 10% discount off the lowest advertised rates!
Simply fill-out the form on the left to make your booking.
About Katy Barker
An agent turned actress and interior designer whose career sparkled in the photography and fashion business for years. Katy discovered and nurtured many of the top photographers such as Terry Richardson, David Bailey and the youngsters still at the forefront of the industry, as well as managing some of the world most talented stylists. Living as an army child across the world, her love remained first and foremost for Africa.
Reservations & Fine Print for Dhow House
Upon confirming rates and availability, you will receive an electronic invoice and a deposit can then be made by credit card, paypal, m-pesa or bank transfer to secure your booking.
On receipt of your deposit, your hosts at Dhow House will send a confirmation and invoice for the balance owing. The balance for the house rental is due prior to your arrival in Lamu.
Cancellation fees may apply.
Owner: Katy Barker